Saturday 16 August 2014

THE UNEXPECTED WHILE EXPECTING


Pregnancy is one of the most exciting and the most trying of times. It is because you can never be prepared enough for it. However, I did not know that. I was one of those people who wanted pregnancy to be perfect. Hence, I read all the popular and traditional literature, registered in sites and kept in close touch with the doctor. But I had so many unexpected experiences, that I had to write about it. 

My first experience of pregnancy was the tiredness. I would get up in the morning feeling like I have been on a tough trek in the night. This was the only time that I outdid my husband in how much I sleep. The best part of this stage was that I knew deep within me, that something is different in my body. I believe in my instincts quite a lot and I knew what was happening even before the doctors result came in. It was quite an exhilarating feeling. I felt as if I had won a lottery or the first prize in an event in school. It was absolutely amazing….as long as it lasted.

And lasted it did for just a few days. Then set in the tastelessness. I had heard of nausea and all that. But no one talks about the disabled taste buds. Nothing would taste good, not even pizza or chaat or even my favorite – eggs. I started to wonder if I would ever know the flavor of food. I just could not eat, and each meal time would make me anxious – how will my baby get nutrition if I do not eat? One has to experience this to know what I am talking about. Thankfully that stage was over pretty soon; to be followed by advices from every source.

There was so much abundance of advice and care around me, that I never felt the need of my parents J. Everyone would be giving me some absolutely great advice or something completely useless. The best part it all was that they were quite contradicting each other. Don’t climb stairs – climb stairs everyday, don’t eat this- eat this, don’t read books- read a lot of books, don’t take advice – heed our advice…etc. As an observer, I had tremendous fun listening to it all. People who never spoke to me, would be suddenly showing so much care and attention. It was nice to see that the new life inside me was being so loved and taken care of before it was born. Trust me, nothing..absolutely nothing attracts the care of people (even strangers) more than the sight of a full blown pregnant lady.

The biggest unexpected experience was the change in me – emotionally and physically. Hormones played havoc in my body. Physically I was a mess – my body became huge including even my feet which hurt everyday due to my weight, my face was covered with pimples, my skin was dry and scabby…where was the pregnancy glow people were talking about? The only thing that glowed was my hair – due to all the dietary supplements J. But I have never been much bothered about how I look. How I felt  -  was an entire different area. I had the most violent mood swings. I started hating my favorite people and fought with them all the time. I felt angry with all my family and friends. Only the company of strangers felt good. The only person I could stand was my mother. My love and appreciation for her grew so much. After all she had to go through all this to have me. She was my pillar of support in this phase. 

Well, by the time I was fully pregnant with a huge football size belly, I had started to feel that I have been pregnant my entire life. Nine months is a short time, but when you are double your size and walking like a duck, it can seem very long – or maybe it is because of the wait for the exciting times ahead. 

If anyone asks me now – would you like to be in that stage again – I would definitely say a big YES. I just couldn’t stop smiling while writing this down. It is quite a strange experience to know that you have almost been an entirely different person for those nine months. But it also an exhilarating experience too. I think everyone should try this out J

2 comments:

  1. Hi I think I never congratulated you.... I know I'm very late but nonetheless a big hearty congratulations to you and Raghu and loads of blessings and love to your baby.... I've missed you guys a lot over the years. ..
    Do pass on my regards to Sai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I think I never congratulated you.... I know I'm very late but nonetheless a big hearty congratulations to you and Raghu and loads of blessings and love to your baby.... I've missed you guys a lot over the years. ..
    Do pass on my regards to Sai.

    ReplyDelete